Help a friend in need
FORD/ZIPCAR SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. THIS PROMOTION IS NOT SPONSORED, ENDORSED OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH, FACEBOOK.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Ford/Zipcar Scholarship Contest (“Contest”) is only open to persons who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry and who are legal residents of the United States. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Zipcar, Inc. (“Zipcar”) or Ford Motor Company (“Ford”), and Zipcar or Ford’s Affiliates (and their immediate families—children, spouse, parents, siblings—and those living in their same households whether or not related) are not eligible; “Affiliates” includes all entities associated with Zipcar or Ford, as applicable, for purposes of this Contest. By participating, each entrant (“Entrant”) agrees to be bound and agrees to confirm with such Entrant’s nominee (“Nominee”) that the Nominee will be bound, by these Official Rules (the “Rules”) and the decisions of the judges, if applicable, which are final and binding in all respects. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Entry into the Contest is open to both members and non-members of Zipcar; purchase of a Zipcar membership is not necessary to enter the Contest and a purchase will not improve the ability of an Entrant and Nominee to win. Proof of age, enrollment in a full slate of classes for the Fall 2012 semester and good standing status at a college or university in the United States is required before a prize winner can claim a prize. Nominee will provide consent for Zipcar to work with the academic advisors office at the Nominee’s college or university to ensure that all these conditions are met before a Nominee can claim a prize. The eligibility of any Entrant and Nominee is at the sole discretion of Zipcar. It is the responsibility of the Entrant and Nominee to ensure they meet all eligibility criteria and can provide any required evidence of their eligibility.
2. CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD: The contest entry period begins at 12:00 noon Eastern Time (“ET”) on June 19, 2012 and ends at 12:00 noon ET on June 29, 2012 (the “Entry Period”). Entries must be received and recorded on the www.facebook.com/zipcar application tab during the Entry Period. You can also enter by submitting a written Entry to: The Ford/Zipcar Scholarship Contest, Attn: Marketing Department, Zipcar, Inc. 25 First Street, Cambridge, MA 02141.
3. CONTEST ENTRY GUIDELINES: All Entries are subject to the terms and conditions of these Rules. Only one entry per Entrant permitted.
The Contest invites Entrants to nominate a Nominee by providing answers to the following questions about the Nominee (each such nomination, an “Entry”):
1. What is the person’s name, where do they go to school and when do they graduate?
2. What does the person do in their everyday life to make a difference for others? We want to know everything.
3. How would winning this tuition affect this person’s life?
4. If this person were to win, what would be the ideal way for them to find out? What is their contact information?
Personal information (e.g., name and address) of Entrants and Nominees may be shared with Ford Motor Company for administration purposes including assisting in selecting the finalists and prize fulfillment.
All Entries must be written in English. Entries that are not received by the end of the Entry Period or that do not comply with these Rules will be ineligible. Entry in this Contest constitutes Entrant and Nominee’s irrevocable assignment, conveyance and transference to Zipcar of any and all right, title and interest in the Entry. Any Entry that, in the sole opinion of Zipcar, is considered inappropriate, obscene, indecent, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, objectionable, promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age or any other status protected by law, or is otherwise objectionable, will be deemed ineligible. Entries received without the appropriate information will not be accepted. Entrants must be the sole copyright owner of the Entry submitted and the Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement. If music is used in video entries, Entrant must provide evidence satisfactory to Zipcar that Entrant and Zipcar have the right to use and broadcast such music on a royalty-free basis. All Entries and materials submitted become the property of Zipcar and will not be acknowledged or returned. The Entry cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion or contest of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means previously. Entrant must have received consent of all parties displayed in the Entry. The Entrant must have received consent of the Nominee to provide Zipcar with the information regarding the Nominee required in the Entry. The Entry must not contain brand names or trademarks with the exception of the Zipcar brand or trademarks. The Entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Entry is created.
4. JUDGING: Following the Entry Period, the Entries will be judged by a panel of Zipcar judges. Each Entry will be judged, in the judges’ sole discretion, on the following criteria:
(a) How deserving the Nominee is of the scholarship from Ford and Zipcar;
(b) What the Nominee does in their community to deserve such recognition and assistance;
(c) How well the Nominee represents the Zipcar mission of enabling simple and responsible urban living in a collegiate setting; and
(d) How creatively the Entry explains how winning this scholarship will help the Nominee.
No more than one hundred (100) Entrants will be selected to create a video depicting an answer to the same questions in 4(a) – (d) above and post the video on Zipcar’s “Ford/Zipcar Scholarship” contest application tab between 12:00 noon ET on July 2, 2012 and 12:00 noon ET on July 20, 2012. The video entries will be judged, in the judges’ sole discretion, on the same criteria set forth above. At the end of the video judging, ten (10) Entrants will be selected as finalists to advance to the final round.
5. VOTING PERIOD: The finalists’ videos will be displayed on Zipcar’s “Ford-Zipcar Scholarship Contest” application tab located on Zipcar’s Facebook page during the Voting Periods. Two videos will be posted during each Voting Period. The Voting Periods will be as follows:
Voting Period 1: July 24, 2012 at 12:00 noon ET to 12:00 noon ET July 30, 2012.
Voting Period 2: July 31, 2012 at 12:00 noon ET to 12:00 noon ET August 6, 2012.
Voting Period 3: August 7, 2012 at 12:00 noon ET to 12:00 noon ET August 13, 2012.
Voting Period 4: August 14, 2012 at 12:00 noon ET to 12:00 noon ET August 20, 2012.
Voting Period 5: August 21, 2012 at 12:00 noon ET to 12:00 noon ET August 27, 2012.
Only votes received within the applicable Voting Period will be counted. The video that receives the highest number of votes during the applicable Voting Period will be deemed to be a “Winner”. The video receiving the second highest number of votes will be the “Runner Up”. In the event of a tie, the Winner’s prize will be split.
6. CONTEST PRIZES: Each Nominee in each of the Entries that is a Winner (a total of five Winners) will receive a Ford/Zipcar Scholarship in the amount of $10,000. This amount will be paid directly to such Nominee’s college or university in the United States.
Each Nominee in a Runner Up video (a total of five Runners Up) will receive $500 of Zipcar driving credit.
The Winners will be announced on www.facebook.com/zipcar as soon as practicable following the end of each Voting Period. The Winners will be notified at the email address provided to Zipcar within five (5) days following the applicable Voting Period.
All Winners and Runners Up will be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/ Ownership/Liability Release and Publicity Release (the “Affidavit”) within 24 hours of notification in order to receive the prize. (Tennessee residents need not consent to, or sign any, publicity release). Some restrictions apply. All taxes or expenses, including without limitation, sales tax, luxury tax and any other costs incurred in claiming or using the prize are the sole responsibility of the Winner as well as all costs incurred in entering the Contest or using or enjoying the prize, such as any administrative costs, insurances and spending money are (unless specifically stated otherwise). No prize substitutions or cash equivalent of prize is permitted. Prizes are non-transferable. Potential winners will be notified by phone and/or e-mail. By entering, Entrants and Nominees give their express permission to be contacted by Zipar by phone, mail or e-mail. If any prize notification is returned as undeliverable, or if Winner does not respond to notification within 24 hours of the date of notification with the name and contact information of their chosen college or university for verification of registration and payment of the scholarship to the school, prize will be forfeited and the judges will select an alternate Winner. In the event of noncompliance with these requirements, the prize will be forfeited and the judges will select an alternate winner. If any prize notification is returned as undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner(s) selected. No more than the stated prizes will be awarded. Unclaimed prizes may not be awarded.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By entering, each Entrant and Nominee agrees to release and hold Zipcar, its Affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives, contractors, and agents of each such entity harmless from any and all liability whatsoever for any injury, loss, or damage of any kind to any person or property resulting from (i) acceptance, possession, or use of any Prize, (ii) participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities, or (iii) use of the Entry or any video in any manner. Except where legally prohibited, the Winners grant (and will confirm that grant in writing) permission to Zipcar and its Affiliates, exercised in their sole discretion, the right to use the Winners’ names, pictures, likeness, voices, biographical information, Entries and videos (whether altered, changed, modified, edited, used alone, or used with other works) at any time, in any form, in any media, without compensation of any kind and without notice, review, or approval. By submitting an Entry, each Entrant and Nominee warrants that (i) the Entry does not violate any law or regulation or any right of any third party, including those laws, regulations, and rights related to copyrights, trademarks, publicity, or privacy, and (ii) the Entrant and the Nominee has followed the Rules and has the right to grant the rights to a content as provided in these Rules.
Further, by submitting an Entry and/or a video, the Entrant and the Nominee grants permission for Zipcar and its Affiliates to publish, post, display, and otherwise use the Entry and/or the video in any form, in any manner, and in any media deemed appropriate by Zipcar or its Affiliate, without compensation of any kind to Entrant or the Nominee. In the event Zipcar is prevented from continuing with this Contest, or the integrity and/or feasibility of the Contest is undermined by any event including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute, or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, state, provincial or local government law, order of regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Zipcar’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event) Zipcar shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Contest without notice or further obligation. If Zipcar, in its discretion, elects to abbreviate, cancel or terminate the Contest as a result of a Force Majeure event, Zipcar reserves the right, but shall have no obligation, to award the Prize from among all valid and eligible Entries received up to the time of such Force Majeure event. Zipcar reserves the right to correct typographic, clerical or printing errors in any Contest materials. Zipcar is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of this Contest, the administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the Prize, including such error as may give an erroneous indication that a Prize has been won.
Neither Zipcar nor its Affiliates are responsible or otherwise liable in any manner for any (i) lost, late, stolen, illegible, misdirected, non-delivered, or improperly captured Entry, (ii) lost, interrupted, or unavailable satellite, network, server, or other connection, (iii) accessibility or traffic congestion, miscommunication, or failed computer, network, telephone, satellite, cable, transmission line, or communication line, (iv) technical failure, malfunction, or difficulty, whether related to software or hardware, (v) jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmission, (vi) incorrect, incomplete, or inaccurate information, (vii) unauthorized access to, tampering with, or hacking into any website or electronic device, or (viii) other error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network. Zipcar may, at its sole discretion, disqualify any individual who tampers with any Entry or with the operation of the Contest, who acts in violation of these Rules or otherwise in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or who displays any intent to threaten, abuse or harass any other person. Votes generated by a robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated means will be disqualified. If, for any reason, the Contest is affected by any computer virus, worm, bug, tampering, hacking, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure or other cause which, in the sole opinion of Zipcar, corrupts or otherwise affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Zipcar may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest, and may determine winner(s) from Entries already received or as otherwise deemed fair and equitable by Zipcar. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Zipcar reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Zipcar’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In the event of a dispute regarding Entries received from multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account at the time of the Entry used to enter will be deemed to be the Entrant and must comply with these Rules. Authorized account subscriber is the natural person who is assigned to the email address by the Internet Service Provider (ISP), on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses.
8. LIABILITY LIMITATIONS: TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL ZIPCAR OR ITS AFFILIATES BE RESPONSIBLE OR OTHERWISE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES RELATED TO THE CONTEST, INCLUDING ANY ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY DOWNLOADING FROM OR PRINTING MATERIAL FROM THE WEBSITE. EVERYTHING ON THE WEBSITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY.
9. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, Entrant and Nominee agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any Prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and shall be submitted to final, binding arbitration heard by a single arbitrator in accordance with the then-current rules of the American Arbitration Association (2) any arbitration shall be conducted in English, in Boston, Massachusetts; (e) any and all claims, judgments and awards on behalf of Entrant or Nominee shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (4) under no circumstances will Entrant or Nominee be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant and Nominee hereby waive all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrant, the Nominee and Zipcar in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
10. WINNERS LIST: To request the name of the Winner, mail a self-addressed stamped envelope in a first class stamped envelope to: Ford/Zipcar Scholarship Contest Winners List, Attn: Marketing Department, Zipcar, Inc. 25 First Street, Cambridge, MA 02141.
11. OFFICIAL RULES: For a printed copy of the Official Rules, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope (VT residents need not affix return postage) to: Ford/Zipcar Scholarship Contest Official Rules, Attn: Marketing Department, Zipcar, Inc. 25 First Street, Cambridge, MA 02141.
12. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You are providing your information to Zipcar and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for Zipcar.
SPONSOR: Zipcar, Inc., 25 First Street, Cambridge, MA 02141.
© 2012 Zipcar, Inc. All rights reserved.