Zipcar is the world leader in providing 'wheels when you want them' -- a revolutionary mobility service that gives members on demand access to a variety of cars in cities, campuses and airports, by the hour or day. Zipcar helps consumers, businesses and governments save money and hassle, while helping make cities better places to live through smart and efficient transportation. Zipcar is a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: CAR), a leading global provider of vehicle rental services.
What is Zipcar?
- Zipcar provides over 850,000 members on-demand access to more than 10,000 vehicles in urban areas on college campuses and at airports across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, and Austria
- Zipcar operates in nearly 30 major metro markets, at over 350 college campuses, and on about 30 airports
- Zipcar fills a vital need for many types of people including those that rely on public transportation, who seek the convenience and flexibility that the bus and train can’t always provide, as well as car lovers who seek the freedom and joy of driving, but want to avoid the cost and hassle of owning a car in the city.
- Zipcar offers members a fleet of vehicles with over 30 different makes and models, including: hybrids, SUVs, pickup trucks, luxury vehicles, minivans, and cargo vans
- The Zipcar mobile app for iPhone and Android makes finding and reserving Zipcars easy and quick. You can even honk the horn to locate your car and unlock the doors through your mobile device
- Annual membership costs $60/year or $6/month and rates start at just $8.25 per hour with our Occasional Driving Plan making Zipcar a cost-effective alternative to car ownership. Zipcar also offers discounted weekday driving rates for Zipcar4Business customers and membership to students 18+ on select campuses
- Zipcar takes care of gas, insurance, maintenance, and a dedicated parking spot. All reservations include 180 miles of per day
Top Zipcar Facts
- Zipcar members have reported using Zipcars for everything from everyday errands and moving to a new place, to weddings and trips home from the hospital with a new baby
- A Zipcar is reserved somewhere in the world every six seconds
- A Zipcar commissioned survey showed that Millennials reported that the high costs of maintenance, parking, and gas make it difficult for them to own a car
- 50 percent of Millennials surveyed by Zipcar say they would drive less if other transportation options, like public transit and car sharing, were available in their area, with 35 percent reporting that they are actively seeking substitutions for driving
- Members of Zipcar and car sharing programs report a 46% increase in public transit trips, a 10% increase in bicycling trips and a 26% increase in walking trips
- A Transportation Research Board/National Academy of Sciences study finds each shared car takes about 15 private cars off the road
- Frost & Sullivan estimates that car sharing can reduce the total transit costs for its members by 70%
- Zipcar Impact: Zipcar members report saving an average of $600 per month compared to owning a car
- Zipcar is spelled as one word, with a capital "Z" and lower case "c". The following are common misspellings of our company's name: "ZipCar", "zipcar", "Zip Car".