1. A GoPro:
Not quite a camera and not quite a camcorder, the GoPro
is a fully contemporary way to commemorate special occasions. And while your family might first raise a collective eyebrow when you hand them a little device on a stick, just wait – your grandma will have upped her selfie game before the pie's sliced.
Photo courtesy of Dave Dugdale/Wikimedia Commons
2. Kombucha: Your roommate may be working on a bathtub beer operation, but your home-distilling project is a bit more health-conscious. Enter funky kombucha: vinegary, fruity, and a teeny bit fermented. It may not be a traditional turkey pairing, but it just might help you feel a little bit better the next day.
Photo courtesy of Nomadic Lass/Flickr
3. 3D Printed Gear: When your parents can't even work out the details of their regular printer's ink cartridges, just wait until you throw 3D printing into the conversation. Whether it's a mug or an action figure, something useful or a simple tchotchke, tell your fam that you printed it yourself and their eyes will boggle.
Photo courtesy of Sebastien_B/iStock/Thinkstock
4. Your Own Personal Drone:
Who needs a Roomba or a robot butler when you can have a constant, airborne companion with you at all times? Get slick aerial shots of your turkey being carved, or simply unnerve your parents with your flying friend. Either way, you'll feel on the cutting edge – and with models costing as little as 30 bucks
, this is one accessible toy.
Photo courtesy of Budi Nusyirwan/Flickr
5. Wearable Tech: You've got Google Glass on your face, a FitBit on your wrist, and an Apple Watch on the other arm. Tech is no longer just something you keep in your pocket (though it's there too, obvs). But come home decorated in your shiniest devices, and you're bound to elicit some oohs and ahhs.
Photo courtesy of Karlis Dambrans/Flickr
6. Super-Realistic Temporary Tattoos:
Even the most laidback parents will visibly tense when their kids mention "tattoos." Give 'em a little scare, then – companies like Tattly
make professional, designer-created tattoos that look pretty enough to be real. (Don't let it slip that they may just inspire a real one later on down the line.)
Photo courtesy of Sarah-Rose/Flickr
7. Virtual and Augmented Reality Games:
Whether you've got an Oculus Rift virtual headset on preorder or the portal-making game of Ingress
on your phone, there's no doubt that gaming is increasingly happening in a virtual reality space. It'll make your family traditions of Monopoly or Apples to Apples feel so
Photo courtesy of Sergey Galyonkin/Flickr
8. Coffee-Infused Clothes:
What's eco-friendly, smells good, and super-comfy? Give up? Why, it's coffee-infused clothing. Though it sounds peculiar, this new innovation shows up in a number of products made by Ministry of Supply
. Your dinner look will be on point – and you'll smell even better.
Photo courtesy of Ministry of Supply
9. Sous-Vide Machine: You've made your turkey roasted, brined, spatchcocked (that's flat-cooked, for those not in the know) – even deep-fried. But have you tried sous-vide? If you're of the foodie persuasion, consider this vacuum-sealed, water bath technique the ultimate Thanksgiving challenge. Find the marathon of Top Chef Thanksgiving episodes for tips.
Photo courtesy of ChefSteps/Flickr