Zipcar Releases New Independent Study on ‘Urban Boomers’
BOSTON (May 18, 2015) – Zipcar, the world’s leading car sharing network, today released its first independent study examining the attitudes and lifestyle of “Urban Boomers,” a demographic cohort of adults who live in urban areas and who are ages 50 to 69, part of the “baby boomer” generation. The study, conducted by KRC Research, revealed that Urban Boomers in the U.S. are tech-savvy, highly active, and while many still own a car, they are driving less after moving to the city. These characteristics are similar to what millennials have self-reported in previous Zipcar research, making Urban Boomers a prime demographic for adopting new mobility solutions, such as car sharing.
“Today nearly 15 percent of our members are over 50, and that number is growing,” said Zipcar President Kaye Ceille. “While we already have a strong number of boomers using Zipcar, this study further solidifies that boomers living in cities are — and will continue to be – adopters of our service. Zipcar is more than just a brand popular with millennials; we’re a brand for all urbanites looking for convenient and affordable access to wheels.”
In addition to identifying Urban Boomers’ attitudes toward transportation, the study revealed insights regarding the demographic group’s household size, key lifestyle attributes and affinity towards technology:
- Urban Boomers often have small households due to a variety of reasons, including divorce or separation, never marrying or becoming an empty-nester. Only 43 percent of Urban Boomers are married.
- Urban Boomers move to the city for more choice in amenities. A greater choice in amenities such as restaurants, shopping and the arts is the number-one factor for moving to a city, over a shorter commute, being close to family and friends, and for a new job.
- Once living in the city, Urban Boomers take advantage of all a city has to offer, including being more active, taking part in community events and enjoying cultural activities. 84 percent agree that having an active lifestyle is an important part of city living.
- Baby boomer in need of relationship rehab? Move to the city. Sixty-one percent of Urban Boomers who are in relationships actually feel closer to their significant other after moving into the city.
- Don’t take away their tech. Urban Boomers would have a harder time giving up their laptop than their car, and 81 percent are using the social media site, Facebook.
For more information on Zipcar’s Urban Boomer Study please visit http://www.slideshare.net/Zipcar_PR/zipcar-urban-boomersstudyfinal
Zipcar gives its members on-demand access to a wide variety of cars in hundreds of cities and college campuses worldwide, as well as airports when they travel. With Zipcars available 24/7 for reservation via Zipcar’s mobile app, through www.zipcar.com, or over the phone, Zipcar is a smart transportation option for those who only need a car by the hour or by the day. Each reservation includes gas, insurance and 180 miles per day.
The findings of Zipcar’s Urban Boomer Study were released at AARP’s Life@50+ National Event in Miami by Zipcar President Kaye Ceille.
About Zipcar’s AARP Member Benefit
In May of 2014, Zipcar began offering AARP members savings on annual Zipcar memberships. The success of the program further reinforced Zipcar’s commitment to engaging the 50-plus demographic – particularly those who live in cities.
“When we evaluate benefits for our members, we seek products and services that complement their lifestyles,” said Angela Jones, senior vice president, business development & lifestyle, at AARP Services, Inc. “Our provider relationship with Zipcar gives our members, especially urban boomers, a smarter way to get around town without owning a car full-time.”
Zipcar, the world’s leading car sharing network, has operations in urban areas and college campuses throughout Austria, Canada, France, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States. Zipcar offers more than 50 makes and models of self-service vehicles by the hour or day to residents and businesses looking for smart, simple and convenient solutions to their urban and campus transportation needs. Zipcar is a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: CAR), a leading global provider of vehicle rental services. More information is available at www.zipcar.com.
# # #
Lindsay Wester, Public Relations Manager, Zipcar, 617.336.4749, firstname.lastname@example.org