Zipcar Summer Travel Survey Reveals Top 10 U.S. Iconic Sights and Foods Most Americans Have Yet to See and Savor
BOSTON, June 4, 2018 – As the summer travel season kicks off, Zipcar, the world’s leading car-sharing network, in conjunction with OnePoll, reveals the findings of its summer travel survey. The analysis of 2,000 Americans shows that from coast to coast and in-between, local cities and neighborhoods are loaded with adventure, cuisine, and culture Americans have yet to experience. Iconic U.S. sights and flavors are ripe for summer vacation days and weekend exploration:
Top 10 U.S. Sights Left to Visit for Most
- National Harbor (Washington, D.C.)
- Pike Place Market (Seattle)
- Alcatraz (San Francisco)
- National Aquarium (Baltimore)
- Museum of Modern Art (New York City)
- Space Needle (Seattle)
- Mt. Rushmore (South Dakota)
- New York Aquarium (New York City)
- Gateway Arch (St. Louis)
- Gettysburg National Park (Pennsylvania)
Top 10 Iconic Regional Tastes Left to Try for Most
- Blueberries in Maine
- Lobster in Maine
- Maple Syrup in Vermont
- Beignets in New Orleans
- Crabs in Maryland
- Cheesesteak in Philadelphia
- Cheese in Wisconsin
- Pizza in Chicago
- Cheesecake in New York
- Barbeque in Texas
The good news is Americans need not look far or book expensive travel to spice up their summer. For many, their home cities and regions offer fun-filled weekend escapes, impulsive daytrips and scenic restaurants within a short drive. Even though more than half (54 percent) didn’t take a summer vacation in 2017 – and the same amount of people has yet to book a vacation this summer – Americans want to visit and taste the best their neighborhood has to offer:
- Most crave more spontaneity (54 percent) and the opportunity to “shake-up” their daily routine (71 percent).
- A majority (54 percent) say they have a local landmark in mind that’s within 30 miles they’ve always wanted to check out.
- Four out of five Americans (80 percent) have identified a restaurant nearby they’ve wanted to try but haven’t, with a fifth (20 percent) having as many as ten eateries on their food bucket list.
Tight budgets and time were cited as the biggest barriers to getting out and exploring locally with more than half (51 percent) feeling they didn’t have enough money and nearly one-third (31 percent) feeling they were “too busy.”
“At Zipcar, we recognize that it’s often spontaneous ‘let’s jump in the car and go’ escapes that make the best summer memories,” said Katelyn Chesley, Zipcar spokesperson. “Knowing you have access to convenient and cost-effective transportation helps make these spur-of-the-moment adventures possible. Be it Pike’s Place, downtown’s newest restaurant, a summer concert series, or surprising the kids with a trip to the National Aquarium. With Zipcar, you can take the wheel and go.”
Regional data mirrors national data in the trend that local gems offer “never-before” experiences for many Americans:
Local in the Mid-West:
- Nearly three out of four (74 percent) of those who live in the Midwest haven’t been to the Gateway Arch; and almost half (49 percent) haven’t eaten a slice of Chicago’s famous pizza.
Local in the East:
- More than half (53 percent) of those who live in the densely populated and highway-laden Northeast have never been to the Empire State Building; and almost three out of five (59 percent) have yet to crack a Maine lobster.
Local in the West
- In the West, more than three quarters (76 percent) have never been to Alcatraz; and nearly three out of five (59 percent) have never tried barbeque in Texas.
Zipcar provides on-demand, universal access to a variety of cars in hundreds of cities across the U.S. and ten countries worldwide. Zipcars are available 24/7 for reservation via Zipcar’s mobile app, online, or over the phone. Prospective members can join at www.zipcar.com.
Regional, gender and age breakouts, raw data and graphics are available. The survey included a random sample of 2,000 U.S. adults regardless of Zipcar membership status in late April 2018.
Zipcar is the world’s leading car-sharing network, driven by a mission to enable simple and responsible urban living. With its wide variety of self-service vehicles available by the hour or day, Zipcar operates in urban areas and university campuses in over 500 cities and towns across Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Iceland, Spain, Taiwan, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States. Zipcar offers the most comprehensive, most convenient and most flexible car-sharing options available. Zipcar is a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: CAR), a leading global provider of mobility solutions.
More information is available at www.zipcar.com.
Public Relations Manager, Zipcar
- In Survey Midwest is: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin
- In Survey Northeast is: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington D.C.
- In Survey West is: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming